Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dividing sansevieria trisfasciata 'Hahnii'

I divided my Sansevieria trifasciata 'Hahnii'....wow...I feel smart just for saying that. Let's just call them STH. It's a small house plant that evidently does a good job of cleaning toxins from indoor air. I had to do quite a bit of searching online to figure out what the heck it even was. Other sub-species are called Mother-in-Law's Tongue and are taller and more popular as house plants.

These plants came from one small "momma" that I "borrowed" from my mother's house. I don't know from where or how she first received her STH starts, but she had been growing and killing them for many years. Evidently both she and I were not doing this right, despite their tendency to sprout new plants and spread.

The one on the left was divided out last spring and has grown leaps and bounds over the other two. I assume it's the larger pot with a drain.



I got some general advice from Urban Jungle, a tropical plant service in Northwest Arkansas, that showed me just how wrong I was about them. They like very well drained soil and like to dry out very well between waterings...oops...those drain-less small clay pots or random containers with no drains were not cutting it. And judging from this picture, my small clay pots were far too small.

(root bound plants are not good)


My hunch appears to be right. Better drainage, don't be afraid to let them dry out, and they need a bigger pot. I hope the divided plants flourish in their new, more appropriate, pots.


No comments:

Post a Comment